Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Boy in Striped Pajamas

For some reason, I submit myself to movies and books dealing with the Holocaust.  I know it's not an inspiring time period.  I know it's not uplifting.  In fact, it makes you feel like absolute crap most of the time.

But somewhere, even in the most depressing of stories, even when I'm bawling my eyes out and trying not to make sobbing sounds (because as everyone knows, those are just the ugliest and most hurtful sounds in the world), even when I'm so distraught...

There's usually love somewhere in it.  There's usually some sort of brotherly bond, whether it's bonds between prisoner and prisoner, or if there's a soldier/citizen who really cares about the Jews, there's something there that tugs my heart and says "see? not everyone was evil at that time."

and i just watched a movie i've wanted to watch since it came out: the boy in striped pajamas.

it is a bawl baby movie, and i could not help making sounds as i sobbed my heart out.  it has a literary ending, and if you know my opinion on what constitutes as a literary ending v a hollywood ending, you'll know that this was a beautiful movie--well written, well executed, and it made a point (a really sharp one).

if you are someone like me, if you are one of the people in the world that appreciates this genre of film and literature, then read the book or watch the movie.  and if you aren't someone like me, this movie is at least a good excuse to cry if you are too macho to cry on your own.

4 comments:

Lady Winterhart said...

don't watch "a woman in berlin". it's a true story based off an anonymous diary but the whole first part is rape scenes.

Amy said...

I have wanted to see that movie for a really long time! Whenever I'm in the mood for a good cry, I'll definitely rent it!!

Connie Babe said...

told you it was a good one.

it's okay to be reminded of the horror that humans do to each other...if only to feel your own empathy and be reminded that all are God's children...all are loved...all are deserving of love and affection and dignity.

and now i just 'ouched' myself...so i'll get on my knees and get over some anger i'm feeling tonight.

love you...it was good seeing you...i'll see you again in a bit...

Chess said...

My roomie owns that one, but I was busy the night they watched it, and because I know it has a literary ending, I can't watch it on my own. My heart will break, and I have no macho shoulder to cry on. :-) One day though.

 
Free Website templatesfreethemes4all.comFree Blog TemplatesLast NewsFree CMS TemplatesFree CSS TemplatesFree Soccer VideosFree Wordpress ThemesFree Web Templates