My little sister has been so wonderful lately, driving me to work while my car goes nuts trying to figure out if it wants to die or not. I hope it decides to stick with me for a few more years. I love my boat car so much.
Anyway, Jaycey noticed a guy who's always on a street corner on her way home from dropping me off at work. She really loves hobos, wants to help them out as much as she can. So one day she had a few bucks, and she was stopped at his corner due to a red light. She rolled down her window and said I have a few dollars if you want them.
The man got up and crossed the lanes to where she was holding the money out for him, and she could tell it hurt him to walk, and she could see he was almost crying when he said "thank you."
The light turned green after he got off the road. Perfect timing for a guy moving slow and painfully. My sister of course shares her life events with everyone and calls my mom. She tells me when she picks me up from work.
And my first thoughts were "that could've been dangerous, and you don't know when you are getting a paycheck next," and then I cringed inside because I imagined him trying not to cry. Maybe he was in pain and that's what the tears were for, but I don't think so.
I've discovered that lots of things in life are a mixture, emotions particularly. I think that man's teary eyes were due to a mixture of pain, gratitude, hope, humbleness...such and such. This man used to be different. I'm sure he grew up dreaming the impossible just like every other child, and here he was on the street. What kind of rotten luck is that? Maybe it was due to the choices he made, but I don't think people willingly choose to put themselves on the street, no matter what they've done in the past. And some people are just unlucky. It doesn't work out for them.
It made me appreciate what I have a lot more, and it made me admire my sister's get up and go serve attitude.
So when my grandma came to town yesterday and we had half of an ice cream cake leftover, Jaycey said we should bring an extra spoon with us and give it to the man. She was sure he'd be in his spot because he was there every day.
We went past his spot, ready to give him a delicious treat, but he wasn't there. Jaycey was sad, but I think the willingness to give will still bless her. At least she could give it to our cousins. I bet they enjoyed it.
Tuesday, August 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
What a great story! And your sister is such a tender heart. I just love hearing about people willing to give. She's a good example! :-)
well now i'm crying. and i'm proud of duaghters that look deeper than the surface.
Always a great reminder to have charity in our hearts:
Mosiah 4:24
Matthew 25:40
Thanks for sharing!
argh! i ate a homeless man's ice cream cake!
Post a Comment